Wednesday, June 22, 2005

"I don't like sand" didn't make the cut??!!

Yup, I watched the AFI 100 Years, 100 Movie Quotes show last night, and it was a lot of fun, even if I either didn't totally agree with all of their selections. That's not the point, anyway; it's to generate discussion and whatnot, and it certainly did that. (And yeah, I'll probably come up with a list of my own at some point, just for shits-and-giggles.)

But really, I gotta be honest here: Am I insane or something if I state outright that I think Gone With the Wind blows? I mean, it's just an awful thing to watch. Maybe it was compelling once upon a time, but when I watched it a while back, I thought, "My God, this movie is like a slow-moving train wreck." I'm not sure I've ever seen a film protagonist I disliked more than Scarlett O'Hara, and yet she has something like eight hundred well-dressed Southern gentlemen after her, including the one guy who should be able to see right through her for the empty corset that she is. Ugh. All the racism stuff is bad enough; it's that it takes three hours of film-time and God-knows how many months of story-time before anyone looks at her and says, "God, you're really a spoiled bitch, you know that?"

Anyway. I just don't like Gone With the Wind very much. Max Steiner sure wrote a nice score, though.

No comments: