Thursday, January 12, 2006

Whoa!

Mike Mularkey has resigned as the Bills' head coach.

I hoped for good things from Mularkey, and I think he may still be a pretty damn good coach someday in the future, but I don't think he was seasoned enough to lead the Bills at this point. I wasn't totally on the "Dump Mularkey" bandwagon, but I wasn't overly enamored of the guy: he seemed to grow more pigheaded the worse things got (a trait he shared with Gregg Williams), and his offensive playcalling was at times questionable or downright bizarre. He'd preach the gospel of the "power running game", and then pull his starting running back in third-and-short; he'd continually try to use Damon Shelton as a red-zone weapon; he was a tight end himself in the NFL, and yet, somehow the position has still been terribly unproductive.

So I wish Mularkey luck...but on balance, if we're going to really pull the organization apart, I see little reason to fire the entire coaching staff except for the head guy who hired them.

No comments: