Friday, January 06, 2006

Shuffling the Music

I haven't done one of these in a long time, so here's an old standby. (For those who haven't seen this before, you boot up your music program on your computer, shuffle your entire music library, and then list the first ten tunes.)

1. "The Moonshiner", by the Dave Rowe Trio. I reviewed this CD for GMR, and liked it a good deal.

2. "Yomigaeru Kyoshinhei", by Joe Hisaishi, from Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind. I heart Joe Hisaishi.

3. "Willow's Theme", by James Horner, from Willow. Lots of film music fans adore this score, even the ones who normally line up with their baseball bats whenever Horner's name is mentioned. I don't think it's all that great -- it's a fun listen, but there's not much "there" there.

4. "Forth Eorlingas", by Howard Shore, from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Ahhhh, now that is how you write epic fantasy film music!

5. "Oliver Cromwell", from Monty Python Sings. "Ollll-iver Cromwell, Lord Protector of the Realm...." This is a pretty weird song, even by Python standards.

6. "Guinivere", by Lerner-and-Loewe, from Camelot (Original Cast album). Just ripped this one onto the computer the other day, actually.

7. "So Far", from Bryn Terfel sings Rodgers and Hammerstein. Good album, but I like Terfel's album of Alan Jay Lerner songs better.

8. "Mitis Lumen", by Mark Snow, from The Truth and the Light. Atmospheric stuff from The X-Files. (Why no more music from that show has ever been released on CD is completely beyond me.)

9. "Inner Workings", by Jerry Goldsmith, from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Great, great score.

10. "Valjean's Soliloquy", from Les Miserables: Live at the Royal Albert Hall. I swear to God that if I don't see this show next time it plays in Buffalo, I am going to...well, I'll probably write a post here full of swear words. And we don't want that, do we?

And there you have it. (Say, I think this might be the first time I've done a Friday Shuffle thing that didn't include a single track from a John Williams film score!)

No comments: