Sunday, August 07, 2005

Sentential Links #11

Here we go again. Click the sentences for context.

:: (T)he justification for the Global Vaguely-Defined Endeavor Generally In Opposition To Some Nebulous Foreign Evil (GVDEGIOTSNFE) has finally become entirely pre-verbal. Perhaps it is better this way; I don’t know. But it does sort of make one long for the days of Steven den Beste and Victor Davis Hanson and all those other dudes with their austere tripartite names and their military histories and their impressive connection to the classical tradition of Thucydides, Pericles, and Triceratops. (The comments thread, in which lots of people pile on top of Michael Totten, who nevertheless remains fairly calm and civil, is also worth perusing. I'm no fan of Totten's, but he conducts himself well here. Warning: this post concludes with some disturbing imagery.)

:: Warren Ellis owns my ass. (Oh, go look.)

:: Instead of continually recycling these silly and bemadding cliches and catchphrases let us indeed reclaim vocabulary. Let us revive rare and beautiful words. Let our language be a garden from which we lovingly pick the most exquisite flowers, not a landfill which we casually sift through to find last week's disposables! (Really. I, especially, have no desire whatsoever to peruse last week's disposables. 'Twould make me shudder, it would!)

:: Last night, I was flipping through the channels when I saw this dead-eyed, purse-lipped, mackerel-faced man droning away in a pulpit. (I like that bit of insulting descriptive, and shall file it away for future theft attributed use.)

:: Instead of being required to answer why pacifists would withhold the scalpel of righteous violence, I want to know why the question is always framed at the point where the patient is dying of advanced cancer. (Via Dave Trowbridge.)

:: For the sake of the art, we need to protect the dreck...

:: Man oh man, you’re gonna like this book; boy howdy. (This is one entry in the Lyttle Lytton contest, whose object goes the Bulworth Lytton contest one better: you're supposed to write a short, bad sentence. But I gotta be honest here: more than a few of these, instead of making me sagely note their awfulness as sentences, actually made me cry out, "Hey, no fair! I wanna read the novel that comes after these sentences!" Alas.)

:: Wearing clothes that fit should be pretty basic, but just from walking around and looking at people I know that this is something a lot of people have a hard time with. (Interesting stuff here about dressing and fashion and the like, even if I sharply diverge on the subject of pleats on my pants -- I tend to think that I look fat not because of the pleats on my pants, but because of the large gut I'm toting around. But anyway, there it is....)

:: I am forwarding my marriage certificate and three children, one of which is a mistake as you can see. (I don't remember how I ended up on this blog, but this post was funny.

All for this week. Enjoy!

UPDATE: OK, I just had to add this one: So I have discovered that the best way to see Loreena McKennitt perform is from 10 feet away. And Sarah, I hate you. Harumph!

No comments: