Friday, August 26, 2005

Look at all them zebras!

I never watch much preseason NFL football, because the games don't count and the second halves tend to be excruciating as I watch sixth or seventh round picks try to beat out undrafted free agents for the bottom of the team's depth chart. But another reason that I'd forgotten about is the officiating. You can almost read the refs' lips every time a flag is thrown: "So, how does that new rule for this situation work again? Is it a five-yard penalty or a ten-yarder? Anybody got the rule book with them?"

Hoo-boy.

Oh, and this is the first time I've ever watched a game at the Bears' new Soldier Field. Nice stadium, but it gleams a little too much to be called Soldier Field. I look at this facility on TV, and I just don't see the spirits of Dick Butkus or Walter Payton. I wish some NFL team would, in the course of building a new stadium, construct a good, old fashioned rock pile.

No comments: