Friday, March 05, 2004

Supersizing....

I can't say as I'm too moved one way or the other by the fact that McDonald's won't be "Supersizing" anymore. First off, I rank McDonald's third of the food chains -- I prefer Burger King and Wendy's, frankly, and if I'm in Iowa, Hardee's trumps everything -- and I don't think their fries are very good. I like a crispy fry, and unless MickeyDee's burns them, they're never crispy. And I don't like Big Macs.

So, nothing doing for me there.

Speaking of fast food, Mickey is annoyed that Wendy's apparently discontinued its fish sandwich. You'd think they would at least bring it back as a season item for Lent, but who knows....since I live in Buffalo, home to a very large Catholic population and therefore an epicenter of some of the greatest fried-fish action on the planet, I never bother to get the fish sandwich at a fast food joint.

In my eyes, a fish sandwich should consist of a large bun -- we're talking the kind you have to go to a good bakery to get -- topped with a piece of fish so long that it overhangs either side of the bun by at least three inches. Remember that scene in The Two Towers when Sam is trying to tell Gollum how wonderful potatoes are, especially when they're plump and golden next to a piece of fried fish? That's what we do in Buffalo, folks. You can use good tartar sauce on the fish -- I like that -- or you can go even better, and use liberal amounts of Frank's Red Hot. (Not Tabasco, which is terribly overrated stuff.)

Our economy is a wreck, our city is stuck in 1981, our politics are a quagmire, but we know how to eat.

No comments: