I had fun compiling the "Last Lines of Books" quiz from the other day, so here I am, coming up with another. This one's "First Lines", but with a twist: these aren't the first lines of the books themselves, but rather the first lines of spoken dialogue in the books. And in some cases, books can go pages and pages before anyone talks! Take that, Flanders!
In terms of method, what I do here is quote the lines themselves, stripped of dialogue attribution that would identify the speaker. I have not, though, edited out any names mentioned within the dialogue lines themselves, which may tip a few of them off. OK? Here we go….
1. "Come out, Neville!"
2. "Good evening, rya. Will you eat some dinner? They've got a hotchewitchi on the fire, smells very kushto."
3. "Raziel, what in heaven's name are you doing?"
4. "I seen him about three months ago. He had a operation. Cut somepin out. I forget what."
5. "Go away! Get out of here! You ought to be ashamed!"
6. "Why? Why must it be horseshoes? As if we had any horses!"
7. "You're not taking this seriously. Behave yourself."
8. "Is he not small for his age, Jessica?"
9. "I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one. Or at least as close as we're going to get."
10. "It will have to be paid for. It isn't natural, and trouble will come of it!"
11. "Do you think the roof will fall in on us today? Did the frost hurt your stinkweed?"
12. "Yeah, that's true. It's even better when you've been sentenced to death. That's when you remember the jokes about they guys who kicked their boots off as the noose flipped around their necks, because their friends always told them they'd die with their boots on."
13. "We should start back. The wildlings are dead."
14. "We be jammin' now, mon!"
15. "Be careful, unless you want to trip over a sculptor."
16. "Hmmm. That's quite a drop."
Answers will appear Thursday, if I'm so inclined. So have fun, and have a look at the other quiz, too!