Monday, February 15, 2010

Chickens? To the Roaster, Batman!

I've blogged this recipe several times over the years, but it always bears revisiting, because it's the easiest chicken recipe I know. You simply marinade the chicken in a mixture of equal parts honey, soy sauce, and sesame oil.

I made this dish a week or two back, here at Casa Jaquandor. Here's the chicken in the marinade:

Chicken and Roasted Potatoes I


You can use any piece of chicken for this, obviously. Heck, you can do it with a whole chicken -- I'll bet that would be really good, actually -- but here, I used thigh pieces. I've always been partial to the breast, but lately I've developed a greater appreciation for the thigh, which seems to stay moist more readily than the breast does.

For this meal, I also made roasted potatoes:

Chicken and Roasted Potatoes II


My method for roasted potatoes is to toss them in some oil, herbs and spices, depending on what kind of flavor I'm in the mood for. So this time I used a bottle of herbed oil that I already had on hand, plus garlic, kosher salt, black pepper, and a bit of cayenne. I spread the potatoes out on a foil-lined cookie sheet and then pop 'em in the oven.

My potatoes this time ended up a bit crunchier than I really like, because I wasn't sure whether the potatoes would cook completely in the same time the chicken would, so I put the potatoes in first. Next time, they go in at the same time. They were still edible -- quite yummy, in fact -- but a little too much crunch.

Still, it was a terrific meal:

Chicken and Roasted Potatoes III


Write down that marinade recipe (equal parts honey, soy sauce, and sesame oil). It's an always-helpful easy-as-pie recipe to have around!

1 comment:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Oh those look like some sweet noms.