Monday, July 02, 2007

Meme-licious!

OK, it seems that while I was taking a break, I got tagged by SamuraiFrog with a quiz-thing. So here goes:

INSTRUCTIONS: Remove the blog in the top spot from the following list and bump everyone up one place. Then add your blog to the bottom slot, like so.

1. Confessions of a Sophisticated Writer
2. The Urban Recluse
3. No Smoking in the Skull Cave
4. Electronic Cerebrectomy
5. Byzantium's Shores: The Occasional Meditations of yada yada yada.

(Not sure why we're doing this. It sounds vaguely chain-letterish.)

Next, select five people to tag.

You know, I rarely tag people on these kinds of things, but I suppose I will, just this once:

1. Jen (14221)
2. Erin
3. Jason Bennion
4. Jayme Lynn Blaschke
5. Tosy and Cosh

And now for the questions!

What were you doing ten years ago?

Settling into married life.

What were you doing one year ago?

Well, what's odd about activities like this is that I can actually go back in the archives and look! So...[clicks and reads]...well, I wrote some posts a year ago today. Nothing terribly earth-shaking, so I'm assuming it was a day at home. Since it was a Sunday, I was probably doing laundry.

Five snacks you enjoy.

1. Summer fruit: nectarines, peaches (O my beloved white peaches!), strawberries.
2. Ice cream.
3. Nacho chips, dipped in salsa-cheese sauce. (By the way, Buffalonians, if you ever have leftover Mighty Tacos in your fridge, before you nuke 'em for reheating, slather them with salsa-cheese sauce. Ohhhhh, the nachoey-cheesy goodness!)
4. Pretzels, dipped in fine mustards. (I like the fat Dutch ones best, but I generally love pretzels across the board.)
5. Nuts of all kinds.

Five songs to which you know all the lyrics.

1. "Hotel California" (long song, but not that impressive to know the lyrics, as the song opens with a minute of instrumental and closes with three more minutes of guitar stuff)
2. "American Pie" (Decoding this song is probably an exercise in futility. There's no way the whole thing makes sense.)
3. "Some Enchanted Evening"
4. "On the Street Where You Live"
5. "I Dreamed a Dream" (Look, ma, showtunes!)

Five things you would do if you were a billionaire.

OK, I changed this one, because it was originally what you'd do if you were a millionaire, but you can't even retire on a million bucks anymore. But a billion? Whoa, nellie! I'll also assume that I don't earn my way up to billionaire, but that I somehow get the whole lump sum at once.

1. Ten million dollars each to all of Buffalo's leading cultural institutions.
2. I'd spend however much money it takes to place subscriptions to each of the top five science fiction and fantasy magazines in the public library systems of the 100 largest metropolitan areas in the country.
3. I'd build something in downtown Buffalo. Maybe apartments or something. The more people living downtown, the better.
4. Cerebral palsy research would get a huge windfall.
5. Heck, I don't know...it's hard to spend a billion dollars. A scholarship fund that pays full tuition to the University at Buffalo for anyone who wears overalls for every day of their college career? Pay for SF's WorldCon to take place in Buffalo? Set up an organization that advertises Buffalo's attractions in places other than Buffalo? Who knows?

Five bad habits.

1. Swearing like a sailor.
2. Thinking, "I'll do some writing just as soon as I get ___ done", with ___ being some menial task or whatever that doesn't need done all that urgently.
3. Putting off car maintenance.
4. Assuming the worst-case scenario at every juncture. (Although truth to tell, this habit has actually proven fairly useful in recent years.)
5. Forgetting what books I own when I go to the bookstore.

Five things you like doing.

1. Answering blog-quizzes.
2. Eating red meat.
3. Voting for Democrats.
4. Consuming pie.
5. Waxing poetic about the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Five things you would never wear again.

Hmmmmm....

1. Oxford cloth. If I have to, I will, but I generally can't stand Oxford cloth.
2. Neckties. Again, I will if I have to, but I must admit my belief that the necktie is just about the dumbest damn thing ever invented, in terms of men's clothing. (Now, the bow-ties with tuxes are fine. Those are classy. But just generic ties, because that's what guys wear? Ick.)
3. Argyle. In any form.
4. Cowboy boots. Nothing against them; just not my cup of tea.
5. Tank-tops. Maybe just around my own home, if we ever own a house, and I'm mowing the lawn. But not in public. No way.

OK, I guess that's it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As meme thingy's go that's a pretty good one. I think I could almost answer all those questions. And the chainletterish thing at the top isn't so bad either. Four more blogs to visit.

Erin said...

I see this, by the way...getting to it. ;)