Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Yes, we're slobs.

I've seen this article about Ten Myths Women Believe About Men linked a number of times on the MSN front page, and I figured I should check it out. Below are the myths, with comment by me.

1. Men are not interested in what women have to say.

Colossal nonsense. Not only am I keenly interested in what women have to say, sometimes I am only interested in what women have to say. Problem is, our reactions to what you have to say may not be what you expect, which isn't to say that we didn't care what you had to say.

2. Men want somebody who is just like their mother

Geez, what's with the Freudian crap? Yes, sometimes men like to be "taken care of", but we also have this thing I like to call the "Damsel in Distress Instinct", which makes us love taking care of women in the same way. (In truth, my own "Damsel in Distress" meter has a very low threshold. The mere sight of a woman crying yanks the Bejesus out of my heartstrings.

3. Men only think about sex

Not true for me, sorry to say.

4. He's spoiling me, so he must have plenty of money

ACK! No, we don't. No no no no no. We like spending money on women, and we don't tend to much care if we actually have the money or not.

5. If I sleep with him on the first date, he won't respect me

I honestly can't evaluate this one.

6. I can change him

This depends, but it's really only possible if te guy actually wants to change. Beyond that, you're pretty much powerless.

7. Men are interested in my dating history

A little bit, I suppose, just to see what you are coming from. Other than that, nah.

8. Men don't like women who make the first move.

My wife proposed to me. So I think I'm a decent countexample here.

9. Men prefer inexperienced women

Again, I'm not qualified on this one.

10. Men are strong.

Strong at what? Lifting stuff? Sure. Bearing physical pain? Less so. Bearing emotional pressure? Well, you never know, whict is the scary thing.

No comments: