Sunday, October 24, 2004

What if the DOA was a Yankee fan?

I didn't hear about this until yesterday, but apparently in the course of the late regular season, Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling hurt his ankle. The injury made him ineffective in his first start in the American League Championship Series, and by the time of his next start -- likely the most crucial start of his career as his team tried to make up a three-games-to-none deficit -- the injury was still a serious problem. The solution to Schilling's injury involved some kind of surgery-on-the-fly, with the procedure in question being invented and tested on a cadaver that morning.

Now, is it just me, or is this some kind of troubling sign that we may take professional sports a tad too seriously in this country? I mean, a game has become so important that we go to the morgue and find a John Doe corpse to experiment upon so that the star pitcher might be able to go? I suppose there's no harm done, but I'm honestly not sure I approve of this, especially since there's not much way of knowing if this spit-and-chewing-gum stitch job will have lasting repercussions on Schilling's leg.

Of course, Schilling might be one to say, "Hey, I've got my millions, and I might just get a World Series Ring out of this," and the city of Boston might say, "Hey, we just eighty-sixed eighty-six years of history and we had to do something questionable to a single cadaver to do it, so who cares?" So maybe I'm just being a stick-in-the-mud here.

Anyone have any thoughts?

No comments: