Saturday, October 30, 2004

Can it be the day after Election Day yet?!

You know, I used to be a lot more politically oriented than I am now, so maybe that's why I am thoroughly sick of this damn election. Maybe it's just that this is the first election in which I realize just how amazingly banal our political discourse is, or maybe it's that I'm sick of the amazing levels of cynicism infecting the process these days. But I'm not sure about that last point, given that my readings of history imply that our elections have always been pretty cynical.

Anyway, now that we're trying to figure out how Osama Bin Laden's most recent utterance affects the campaign, I'm ready to bow out of paying attention. First, my mind's made up already; second, I can't believe any undecided voter out there is dumb enough to think, "Hmmmm, I can't choose between these two, so I wonder what OBL thinks"; and third, well, I'm sick of the whole thing. Or did I say that already?

And as soon as this election's over, we can get around to worrying about the really important stuff, like who's going to run for Mayor of Buffalo next year. God help me, if Anthony Masiello gets to run unopposed again, even though Buffalo is circling the drain, I will scream.

No comments: