Monday, March 01, 2004

SCRUBS, anyone?

Do any of my readers watch Scrubs? I've loved this show since I watched the very first episode -- it's always incredibly well-written and perfectly acted. So much of the humor on this show is dependent on precision timing that you'd need a watch made in Switzerland to measure, and yet, the show is hilarious each and every time out.

But right now, I'm wondering if anyone else was completely blindsided by the ending of last week's episode. The way Scrubs manages to cross back and forth between poignance and farce never stops amazing me, but last week's episode was a tour de force, with a twist ending that I literally had no idea was coming and which made the episode resonate emotionally with me in a way that few shows do anymore.

And I guess in this case it's a good thing that Scrubs isn't one of NBC's ratings juggernauts; otherwise, the entire preceding week on NBC would have been awash in promos exhorting us not to miss the last five minutes, since the clods in TV these days are evidently unaware that most of the pleasure of a good surprise ending comes from not knowing the surprise ending is coming in the first place.

No comments: