Saturday, April 09, 2005

Lions and tigers and memes, oh no!

I've stolen yet another "List of Crap About Me" thing, this time from QuirkyChick (whose blog design, by the way, I absolutely love). Enjoy. Or not. (None of this stuff is likely to be any surprise at all to longtime readers. I'm mainly doing this quiz because some of its questions are phrased in a way I haven't seen before.)

V I T A L S

(I'm omitting this section, containing stuff like name, height, eye color, and whatnot because its questions are answered pretty much everywhere you might look for such info on this blog. Moving right along....)

S C H O O L

Are you still in school: No.
Favorite subject: Philosophy and music. (In college, I majored and minored in both.)
Least favorite subject: Economics. I just couldn't shake my sense that it was all made-up mumbo-jumbo that didn't really explain much. But I liked the one econ prof I had in college quite a lot. She was a neat lady. (Still is, I guess. I don't think she's dead.)
Do/did you buy lunch or bring it: Ummmm...is this a high school thing? In my Junior and Senior years, I rarely bothered to even eat lunch. In college, I ate in the school cafeteria a lot the first two years, and then moved off campus the last two years, so my diet then consisted of large amounts of Ramen noodles, canned ravioli, Mac-and-Cheese, and the occasional pizza when a check from Mom and Dad arrived.

F A V O R I T E

Number: I vacillate between 2187 and 1138.
Clothing : Well, my fall, winter, and early spring wardrobe pretty much revolves around the theme you see in the pictures in the sidebar -- sweaters, long-sleeve henley or t-shirts, and overalls. During warmer climate, though, I pack the heavier stuff away in favor of t-shirts and bermuda shorts. As always, comfort is my key when picking clothes. If it's not comfortable, I don't care if it makes me look like Cary Grant. I'm not wearing it. (Obviously, clothing required by work is different, since I don't have the option of not wearing what they tell me to wear, but I work in a place where the required clothing is generally pretty comfortable. And it's nice to not have to sit around thinking, "Gee, what should I wear tomorrow..." Plus, they're pretty lenient about letting us accessorize in ways that add flair and personality to our garb. Such as the Celtic hair ties I recently bought.)
TV show: Hmmm. The West Wing has made quite a comeback this season. CSI is still a favorite. For reasons passing understanding, I am totally hooked on The Apprentice. And even though it's only two episodes old, I can see Eyes becoming a big favorite. That show's just fun. I also like Desperate Housewives, believe it or not.
Fruit: Apples, oranges, bananas, strawberries, kiwi.
Movie: Star Wars Epiosde IV: A New Hope.
Scent: Cooking meat. (If this is actually asking about perfume or something like that, I have no idea.)
Ice Cream Flavor: Coffee Haagen-Dasz. Once the subject of a college road-trip at midnight.
Color: Purple. I also like red a lot. And blue. Black is also highly useful.
Season: Fall. Why Buffalo isn't spending money to aggressively market its October climate in the hot states is absolutely beyond me. October is the greatest month of all -- weatherwise, sportswise, it's just an all-around awesome month.
Holiday: Thanksgiving.
Thing in your room: Which room? Heck, I dunno. My single-volume of Lord of the Rings, maybe. But really, I don't know. (Oooooh wait, I do know: my writing desk. How'd I forget that?!)
Author: I can't pick just one. But if you held a gun to my head, I'd yelp "Guy Gavriel Kay".
TV channel: The only reason I miss cable is because I can no longer watch the Food Network. For local news, Channel 2 is getting my nod, which is a surprise since local news here has sucked for years.
Shape: Ummmm...the feminine hourglass. Let's move on....
Time: Early evening. Between five and seven.
State: Bliss. (Or are we talking like which of the fifty US states? That would be New York, obviously. Because it's home. But every state is worth being proud of, to its inhabitants, when you get down to it. Well, maybe not Texas. That place is just messed up!*)
Disney character: Peter Pan, with Emperor Cuzco from The Emperor's New Groove a very close second.
Scary movie: The Silence of the Lambs.

» T H I S O R T H A T «

Hot or cold: Weather? Cold. Tea? Hot. Coffee? Hot. Wings? Medium.
Winter or summer: Winter.
Spring or fall: Fall
Shakira or Britney: Dunno who the former is, and utterly detest the latter. Moving on.
MTV or VH1: DVD (I'm keeping QC's answer for this one, since it's perfect)
Rollerblading or skateboarding: Rollerblading. I suck at it, but I enjoy the hell out of it. And I imagine that seeing me coming at one on a pair of rollerblades is a fairly terrifying sight!
Black or white: Black.
Orange or red: Red.
Yellow or green: Green.
Purple or pink: Purple.
Cell phone or pager: Cell phone. (Even though I don't have one.)
Powerpuff Girls or Charlie’s Angels: Charlie's Angels (but only as long as I can have the originals!)
Scooby Doo or Dino: Satchel (from Get Fuzzy)

Y E S O R NO

Are you a vegetarian: No. I long ago decided that nothing ever eats that something else doesn't die, so I'm fine with it.
Do you like cows: Well, I love The Far Side, which has to count for something.
Are you a bitch: Huh?!
Are you artistic: Not with the visual arts.
Do you write poetry: Once in a while. It always stinks.
Can you ski: I've enjoyed Nordic skiing. Never done downhill.
Are you British: What?
Are you straight: Again, what?
Are you evil: Well, the Objectivist Weirdo over on the FSM message boards has told me that I'm evil, but that's the only such testimonial I have as yet.
Is Britney a whore: I have no idea as to her "whoreness". I do think that she's an untalented tart who uses sex appeal to gain fame. If that's the same thing, then yes.

P R I V A T E

Have you ever been in love: Most definitely. More than once, even.
Do you smoke: No.
Do you smoke weed: No. I might have tried it in college, had the guy I knew who did smoke weed on occasion ever had any when I dropped in to visit. But no, I never tried it.
Crack, heroin, anything else: Absolutely not. Never dabbled, either. The strongest thing I ever take is Excedrin.
Beer good or beer bad: Well, that depends, doesn't it? Yuenglings good. Schlitz bad.
Are you the sissy who drinks wine coolers: Great God Almighty, NO!!

» T H E L A S T «

Thing you ate: Peanut M&Ms.
Thing you drank: Water.
Place you went: The Store for the weekly groceries.
Thing you got pierced/tattooed: Never done any of this.
Song you heard: An aria from Tosca, which was playing on the radio on my way home.
Person you instant messaged: I don't IM much anymore, and I don't even remember.
Person you laughed with: The Wife. Other than her, a very good friend at The Store.

N O W

What are you eating: The same peanut M&Ms.
What are you drinking: Nothing. (I finished the water and will be having a Pepsi shortly.)
Any shoes on: My hiking boots.
Hair: Tied back in one of my Celtic hair-ties. (I should post a picture of these sometime -- I think they look pretty cool.)
Listening to: My keyboard, and Little Quinn snoring.
Talking to anyone: No one but me here right now. (The Daughter is outside playing as of this writing.)

L A S T

Last Cigarette: I've never smoked. See above. (I had two cigars in 1995, when two guys I worked with had babies in the same month. That's the only smoking I have ever done.)
Last Alcoholic Drink: A bottle of Yuengling's. It's been a while -- maybe a month or more. I don't drink very much at all any more.
Last Car Ride: An hour or so ago.
Last Good Cry: The frequency has fallen off quite a bit at last, but for a while there I was having these hourly.
Last Library Book: I always have a stack, some of which I read and some of which I don't. I can't recall what I have out right now, except for a book called Brush Up Your Poetry.
Last book bought: The NPR Curious Listener's Guide to Celtic Music (of which I should have a review appearing in GMR tomorrow -- I'll post a link if it's there).
Last Book Read: The Bad and the Beautiful: Hollywood in the Fifties
Last Movie Seen in Theatres: Finding Neverland
Last Movie Rented: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. (I also check movies out of the library a lot. Right now I've got Open Range.)
Last Cuss Word Uttered: Probably "dumb ass". I also tend to mutter the F-bomb under my breath, but I really try to not say it out loud except to certain people I trust enough to hear it from my lips. (And there are people I do trust that much, but don't really feel right saying the F-bomb around. It's like, I don't know, uttering the Lord's name in the presence of a nun.)
Last Beverage Drank: Didn't I answer this already? This is the weirdest quiz ever.
Last Phone Call: The Wife.
Last TV Show: Scrubs, which we taped on Tuesday and watched Thursday.
Last Time Showered: This morning.
Last Shoes Worn: Again, didn't I just answer this?
Last CD Played: The soundtrack to The Empire Strikes Back.
Last Item Bought: A bunch of food today.
Last Download: Hmmmm...I don't do much downloading, really. If I'm going to own content, I want to own something physical. I'm just not that wild about paying for a transfer of ones-and-zeroes to my computer that might completely disappear if my hard drive ever goes "Kablooey". I know that I'll most likely be forced into doing so over the next however many years, but I'm still not wild about it.
Last Annoyance: Grocery store shoppers who, although the aisle is wide enough for two carts to pass one another, steadfastedly insist on walking down the exact middle of the aisle with their carts. That annoys me greatly.
Last Thing Written: I've started noodling about with some poetry in a leather-backed journal of mine, and I've started jotting the beginnings of a script about life in the supermarket world.
Last Key Used: My apartment deadbolt key. (This is without question the strangest blog-quiz question I've ever seen.)
Last Sleep: I dozed off while feeding Little Quinn about half an hour ago.
Last Ice Cream Eaten: The Store's brand of cookie-dough ice cream, night before last.
Last Chair Sat In: Uhhh...the chair at my computer, duh! (That question almost topped the "Last key used" one from three questions back. But not quite.)
Last Webpage Visited: Assuming we're not talking about blogs, I was browsing eBay a bit earlier.

Well, I'm not sure if I liked that quiz or not. It's got some goofy stuff in there, eh?

* I'm kidding about Texas. Even though you guys gave the world two Presidents Bush, Tom DeLay, and the Dallas Cowboys, you guys also have some wonderful music and barbecue that'll make you cry. So I'll call it a wash.

No comments: