Friday, July 02, 2004

I was both annoying and pretentious at the same time?!

Scott Spiegelberg posts his version of my classical music list, but only after taking me to task for my (admittedly) incorrect use of the word "meme" (whose common usage doesn't really bear much resemblance to Richard Dawkins's original idea of "memes"), and referring to the list as "another annoying list". I hope Mr. Spiegelberg is writing with a bit of tongue-in-cheek here, because the list was just intended to be something fun for the segment of Blogistan that listens to classical music, and I have no illusions that it's going to "make me famous throughout the Internet". I think more people know who I am at my workplace than in Blogistan, so there it is. (I will admit that I had hoped that the thing would take at least a little flight, if only so I could find a few new music and/or cultural blogs without having to do my own heavy lifting to find them. Sort of a "put out the saucer of milk and see which cats come calling" type of thing.)

Anyway, Mr. Spiegelberg's blog seems to be a good one, upon first review, focusing on classical music. According to his bio, he is a professor of music at DePauw University, his instrument is the trumpet (otherwise known as The Instrument of Gods), and he has taught at Buffalo State College. This leads me to think that he might be leading the life I might have led had I not abandoned music for philosophy (and, ultimately, The Store). As a trumpet player, I wonder what he'd think of the digital "Taps" thing for military funerals that I wrote about last week. Hmmmmm...anyway, check him out.

(EDIT: I must have had Art Spiegelman, author of Maus, on the mind because halfway through writing this post I morphed the names. Whoops. Now that is annoying, although I don't know if that's pretentious.)

No comments: