Sunday, March 09, 2008

Sunday Burst of Weirdness

Time to get weird!

:: Down with "Danny Boy"! You know, I've yet to hear a vocal version of "Danny Boy" that I like. But Percy Grainger's setting of the tune is wonderful. I've heard that setting for strings, wind ensemble, and, most hauntingly, wordless chorus. It's one of the most beautiful melodies ever created in Western music, but the words? I can leave 'em, I suppose. (via)

:: Did you ever try to buy beer in Pennsylvania? If so, and if you might have cause to do so again, breathe a sigh of possible relief.

:: Well, it looks as if I'm not the only overalls-clad hippie around. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Time to cut the hair and start wearing Dockers.

(Kidding, of course.)

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

The worst, ever, vocal version of Danny Boy (at least that I have heard) has got to be Johnny Cash's. I'm happy to give the man his due, but that one takes the biscuit.

And yes, it is a wonderful tune.

djexcm: how spooky is that?

Becky said...

The only version of Danny Boy I've ever liked was this Irish Tennor that used to be on the Lawrence Welk Show. I forget his name.