Monday, May 16, 2005

Paying the Price for his Lack of Vision

The dastardly Mr. Jones posts on the topic of his Revenge of the Sith anticipation, with the upshot being that he gets to attend not one, but two, advance screenings of the film.

Well now.

No, I'm not jealous. Really, I'm not. I'm actually far more excited about what the communal event of seeing it at 12:01 on Thursday morning is going to be like. Part of it is that this is the last Star Wars movie; part of it is that unlike when I attended a midnight opening day showing of Attack of the Clones, to which I went alone, this time I'm going with actual people, including one guy from work who's just about as keyed up for this movie as one can get. I just like the idea that I'll be seeing the film as part of the first paying crowds -- and that as I exit the theater at around 2:30 or 3:00 a.m. (depending on previews and whatnot), the folks paying for midnight screenings in Portland and Seattle and San Francisco will just be taking their seats.

Back when The Phantom Menace opened, the Wife actually got to see an advance screening because she worked for Pizza Hut (I had already left the Hut), and PH was one of the restaurants involved in the licensing blitz for the film. I had to work on the day of the screening, though, so the Wife got to see the first Star Wars movie in sixteen years three days before I did. Was I mad at her? Not really.

Now, the guy at The Store who was going to join our Opening Night party and then had to bow out because one of his college profs rescheduled a big exam for Thursday morning? That guy has a legitimate beef. Sounds to me like a certain prof is in need of a bit of Force-choking, because his lack of faith is disturbing.

No comments: