Friday, May 20, 2005

Arrgghhhh.

You know, folks, I have no problem with people not liking the last three (or even four) Star Wars movies. I really don't. I defend them vocally because I truly enjoy and admire them, but I've never had a problem with mere difference of opinion. I have real reasons for loving the films, and I've elucidated some of those reasons many a time in posts here.

What I do have a problem with is all the arrogant condescension people who hate the Prequel Trilogy feel an almost instinctive need to visit upon those of us who love them. I'm sick of being told that I've drunk George Lucas's Kool-Aid. I'm sick of reading reviews like this mean-spirited, "Oh look how clever a snark-king am I" piece by Anthony Lane (a reviewer I admittedly rarely enjoy, because I tend to only enjoy snark when being visited by a Democrat upon Republicans). And when I'm sick of being the subject of comparisons like this:

Phantom was a knife in the gut of Star Wars fandom; the only Star Wars fans who like that film are the science fiction equivalent to the Michael Jackson fans who mill about outside the courtroom of his molestation trial.


No, fuck you.

I am neither stupid nor delusional because I happen to like The Phantom Menace. Nor am I stupid or delusional because I failed to despise Attack of the Clones. Why people in like position to myself have to be insulted by everyone with a negative view of those two films completely escapes me. But at least I don't have to worry about enduring this kind of shit again in three years' time.

No comments: