Monday, May 02, 2005

Surprising Admissions

Here's an attempt to launch one of those "blog-meme" things. The idea is that I'll admit some things about myself that readers might find a bit surprising.

1. Even though I'm a political liberal, I admire the work of political cartoonist Michael Ramirez. I find that he has a fascinating ability to marry words with striking imagery, such as in this cartoon. I don't often agree with his point of view, but he expresses his views artfully, which I admire.

2. I never much liked Nirvana. I know, Kurt Cobain was a tortured genius and Nirvana's brief run was a seminal event in the annals of rock, but I just didn't dig their music that much. A big part of it was that I found Cobain's vocals nearly unintelligible.

3. I used to be pretty good at growing African violets. It was a hobby I pursued a bit in college and in the first years afterwards, but I've let it go since. Someday I plan to do it again, when I have space to devote to a bunch of the little plants.

4. I like the movie Forrest Gump. I'm not sure I get its message, but for some reason, its structure as it traces one man's lumbering through history always clicks with me. It's one of several movies I watch almost faithfully, once or twice per year.

5. Despite my intense dislike of uncomfortable clothing, I've always enjoyed wearing a tuxedo, for some reason. Maybe it's a throwback to watching all those Bond movies all the time.

OK, anyone else?

No comments: