Sunday, May 08, 2005

Screw that. I play the Air Timpani.

Michele of ASV wants nominations for "Best Air Guitar Song". Well, since I had my 80s headbanging phase like anyone else, I do actually have a nomination to make: "Rough Boy", by ZZ Top.

Yup, you read that right. "Rough Boy" is actually one of my favorite songs from the 80s, period. I'm not entirely sure why, but I find it to be a sad and beautiful rock ballad from about the last group you'd expect to give you a sad and beautiful rock ballad. The guitar work in the song is excellent, and what makes it a good air guitar tune is that you just can't wiggle the fingers of your left hand up and down your imaginary fingerboard in a sad approximation of Edward Van Halen guitar pyrotechnics; you actually have to put some expression into your air-guitar playing. And that's not easy. Anybody can play the air guitar. Not anyone can play the air guitar well. And certainly not anyone can do it with the angst of an 80s power ballad!

(BTW, check out Michele's 404 page. It's hilarious.)

No comments: