Monday, April 03, 2006

"Oh my Gosh!"

That's what stood out in my mind as I watched the trailer for the upcoming film United 93. At the moment the second plane hits the World Trade Center, a character utters the words "Oh my Gosh". And she says the line in roughly the same tone one would use if one saw something mildly unusual, not something that I remember as being pretty horrific. But then, hey, maybe my memory's faulty.

I just don't know what to make of this movie. We don't know what really transpired on Flight 93, but we sure know what we want to have transpired on Flight 93. The trailer is cut like the standard trailer for just about any action thriller that involves ordinary citizens placed into extraordinary circumstances -- which is exactly the case with Flight 93, but the ending was not what was expected and I don't see how it can be framed as such in a Hollywood movie.

I should probably reserve judgement for the actual film, since trailers are so notorious for not conveying accurately what a film is really like. But I don't know how else to say it: this trailer left a bad taste in my mouth. I wish I could tell exactly why.

No comments: