Sunday, April 16, 2006

Jed: The Final Days

Well, the Bartlet Administration is in its final days as it witnesses its transition period with President-elect Santos, who somehow managed to get elected despite picking an admitted alcoholic and drug addict with a history of heart trouble as his running mate, and then seeing that same running mate dying of a heart attack on Election Day. Luckily, he was able to pull out a squeaker of an election by carrying Texas and defeating a Republican nominee who had somehow won his party's nomination despite being a pro-choice non-church goer. Well, who ever said that TV needed plausibility? All that stuff is no less plausible than all those times Data or Wesley managed to save the Enterprise by reversing the flow of dekyon particles from the ship's Bussard collectors*.

Nothing much to say about the show, really, except that it just occurred to me that it would be funny if the very last scene of the last episode had President Santos, on his first day in office, sitting down at the Resolute Desk, taking a deep breath...and then a knock at the door:

SANTOS: Come in!

MANDY walks in, looking dissheveled and holding some kind of incredibly thick report.

MANDY: Mr. President, I know it's taken a while for me to get this done, but I've been working real hard in the basement on it and...I'm sorry, who are you?

Fade out.


Yeah, I know, it's lame. But then, I'm a guy who came away from the last episode of Happy Days wondering whatever happened to Chuck Cunningham.

* When he got the notice from Starfleet Academy that Wesley was to leave the ship and actually, you know, earn a spot in Starfleet by actually attending the Academy, do you suppose Captain Picard went alone into his ready-room and said to himself, "My God, I gotta fly this thing by myself? We're all f***ed!"?

No comments: