Tuesday, April 04, 2006

DeLay-ing the inevitable

[WARNING: Unseemly political gloating here.]

Tom DeLay, then:



Tom DeLay, now:



Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

It strikes me that I found it nearly impossible to find a photo of DeLay actually frowning as he's "forced" out of Congress. I'll give the Devil his due here: the man is a mean bastard, but he certainly seems to enjoy it.

In the course of reading news about DeLay's exit from Congress, I found a couple of telling quotes. First, from DeLay himself:

It was obvious to me that this election had become a referendum on me.


Well, no shit. Really. That's what elections are: referenda on the people holding offices. Ultimately, though, DeLay turns out to be the most pathetic kind of loser: not just one who will do whatever it takes to win, but who also will only play the game if he's guaranteed to win.

I also saw this, from current House Majority Leader John Boehner:

He has served our nation with integrity and honor, and I’m honored to call him my colleague and friend.


Integrity and honor. Well, in a party that seemingly defines "integrity" and "honor" as meaning "conservative who's never received extramarital fellatio [at least within the last ten years, before which any such instances are filed under 'youthful indiscretions']", I guess DeLay's the poster boy for integrity and honor.

And I have to recollect once again the bold prognostication offered once upon a time by the "Republicans can do no wrong, EVER!" guys at Powerline, a little over a year ago:

Sorry, folks, but, like it or not, DeLay is the Majority Leader and likely to stay such for many years to come.


Ahhh, Powerline -- the blog whose motto ought to be, "We get it right less often than even the most stopped of clocks!"

No comments: