Saturday, May 27, 2006

Wingin' It

Via this MeFi thread, I see that someone has "invented" a dipping-sauce cup "specifically designed" for the dipping of chicken wings. Now there's a problem that desperately needed solving! Those little round cups or ramekins of blue cheese just weren't getting the job done! Now we have a wing-shaped ramekin so we can immerse the entire wing! (The point of which, of course, escapes me -- now you're getting blue cheese all over your fingers, and you're dipping parts of the wing you're not going to eat, anyway, like the ends.)

But the important thing is this: surely there's a MeFi member in Buffalo who can set them straight on the fact that "Buffalo wings" were actually invented in Buffalo (toward the bottom of the thread, one poster tells the well-known Anchor Bar tale, but omits the name of the bar and speculates that the tale might be an urban legend).

If you're wondering how to make authentic Buffalo-style chicken wings, I described the method a long time ago, but it's worth reviewing, for folks who are in the unfortunate habit of calling pretty much any dish involving fried chicken wings as "Buffalo wings". Now, I'm not a "chicken wing purist"; I think that the wing is a wonderful thing and there are many beautiful ways to prepare them. But I am a Buffalo wing purist. Put it this way: there are many, many ways to crush the juice from grapes and make wine. But there's only one way to do it and make Champagne.

My favorite wings in Buffalo are the ones at Duff's; there's also a pizza place in Orchard Park called Capelli's that we like a good deal. Good wings there. And I have to admit that the Quaker Steak and Lube chain has some terrific wingage. (The nearest one is in Erie, PA.) I've tasted wings prepared in any number of ways -- breaded, unbreaded, barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce, all manner of sauces -- and they're always wonderful. But eating the genuine Buffalo wing is always like coming home again.

(I know, the Champagne metaphor above isn't perfect, but it works well enough. No lectures, please!)

2 comments:

Call me Paul said...

I've always just used a french fry as a sauce brush to put dipping sauce where I want it.

...


...


...


On the chicken wings!

Camille said...

Treebeard got to have some when he visited Roswell Park Cancer Center during a conference. Sadly, I did not.