Thursday, May 25, 2006

When bloggers hibernate

Sorry for the lack of posting this week, but I've had a number of earlier-than-usual mornings at The Store for special projects. But hey, all is still well, and I can now add "stretch steel cable between two brick pillars" to my skill set. That's me, Handyman to Blogistan.

Anyway, tonight I'm watching Live from Lincoln Center's clip-show. If you think that clip-shows suck, you haven't seen Live from Lincoln Center do one. Wow. Now this is a clip show, and it's wrapping up with that old chestnut that always gets my heart going pitter-pat, Luciano Pavarotti singing "Nessun Dorma" from Turandot.

A little while ago I read a summary of the Lost season finale, and something struck me, even though I gave up on actively following the show a year ago: it's the TV show equivalent of those surreal computer games Myst and Riven. You've got desert islands that may or may not constitute the entire world, you've got lots of strange stuff all over the island that may or not mean something relevant, you've got strange numerological puzzles and weird mixtures of nature and technology. Someone should get J.J. Abrams in an interview and ask him if he was a big Myst fan a decade ago. (For the record, I loved Myst and Riven, but I never played the third one.)

Oh, and here's an article that makes the pro-American Idol case. Now I don't have to feel all dirty and stuff about loving the show...and heck, with the hippies winning The Amazing Race and now Taylor winning AI, I'm wondering if the old "things happen in threes" might apply and have the Sabres win the Cup.

Well, that's it. Hopefully this weekend I'll get back up to full blogging strength.

2 comments:

Call me Paul said...

A Buffalo-Edmonton cup series? Sounds like a ratings disaster for the NHL in the USA. Sounds like a pretty entertaining hockey matchup, though.

Anonymous said...

Interesting article, but just because the winners are big successes hardly gets them off the hook seeing as every current non-TV talent show contest sucks just as hard as Kelly Clarkson et al.

I'd wager it's worse in the UK, where somehow pop idol winners Girls Aloud seem to have scored both sales and critical acclaim despite looking and sounding like they're depriving a town-centre chav pub of five barmaids.