Wednesday, December 10, 2003

You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.

By sheer happenstance -- I randomly clicked a site in Oliver Willis's blogroll -- I found this testimonial on text-adventure games, which were a big part of my adolescence. I'm sure I've blogged about these before -- basically they are games in which a setting is described to you in text, and you type commands into a parser to do things: "Pick up the sword" (or, if the parser was fairly primitive, "get sword"). There were obstacles to overcome and puzzles to solve, and what made it really fun was the degree of imagination required. The most famous text adventures were, as Michelle notes, Colossal Cave and ZORK! (which was actually a series), but there were others too. Great stuff, lots of fun. Ah, those were the days.

Plugh.

No comments: