Sunday, November 07, 2004

"A troupe of strolling players are we...."

Normally I don't post after the Image of the Week, but I've just learned that one of my favorite stars from the great era of Hollywood musicals, Howard Keel, has died.



Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is one of my very favorite movies to this day, and it's in large part due to Keel's gravitas and strength in the lead role as Adam Pontipee. I also loved him in Kiss Me, Kate and other films. But believe it or not, my first exposure to Keel was when he played Clayton Farlow on Dallas. (I was quite the Dallas fan when I was young.)

When you're in love, when you're in love
There is no way on earth to hide it;
When you're in love, really in love
You simply let your heart decide it.

How can you tell, what's in its spell
How can you tell, until you've tried it?
Wait for that kiss you're certain of
And let your heart decide when you're in love.


Farewell, Howard Keel.

No comments: