Sunday, November 14, 2004

Shut up, Joe!

As you might expect, I'm watching the Buffalo ShiBills right now performing their annual act of self-destruction in Foxboro, MA (the New England StuPats are spectators). Not much to say right now, but I'm always astounded by Joe Theismann's ability to say something really stupid. Sometimes it's something dumb in the "What are you smoking?!" kind of way; other times it's just something so vacant of content that you just wonder why on Earth Theismann felt the need to fill the silence in the first place, unless for no other reason than to hear the sound of his own voice. A few minutes ago, the StuPats were on offense, and Joe opens his mouth to unload this bit of amazing football wisdom:

"I really like the way Tom Brady plays football!"

Gee, Joe, I'm sure glad you bothered to let us know this. I mean, as color commentary goes, this is just fascinating. I think I'll do the same thing, next time I'm at Starbucks:

"I really like the way this capuccino has foam on top!"

Or maybe I'll dust it off next time I'm at the gas station:

"I really like the way this gas nozzle fits into the hole in my car!"

Or next time I'm watching the Buffalo Philharmonic:

"I really like the way those musicians follow that guy with the white stick!"

Lordy, now Joe is using a bunch of replays to show that if a quarterback has time to throw the ball, he can throw the ball! Wow! What would we football fans do without Joe Theismann to tell us these things!

Oy.

No comments: