Thursday, August 26, 2004

Raining, pouring -- it's all the same.

(This post is being written at around 1:30 am on August 27, but I'm using Blogger's post-date feature to back-date it.)

I don't know if this is going to herald some grand return to blogging on my part. Probably not, since my energies are likely to be focused in another direction for a while.

Our son was born tonight.

But.

I'm not going to go into long details, but there were unforeseen complications toward the very end of the process. The condensed version: he's being kept in the neo-natal ward until his condition is stabilized, and the worst-case scenario involves brain damage. And we may not even know about that for another six months.

But.

I have a son who may turn out perfectly fine (the doctor says he's seen infants in worse shape turn out perfectly fine), to go along with my daughter who's perfectly fine and less than two weeks from entering Kindergarten. For a onetime nihilistic hater of children (who still isn't particularly fond of other people's children), that's quite a thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you posted on my blog a while back re: girls in overalls.

I wanted to share this eerie and somewhat comforting coincidence. On August 26, 2007 - three years to the day after Quinn was born - my wife gave birth to our third child, a daughter named Nora.

Nora was born with a severe chromosomal abnormality called Trisomy 18 - many of her organs were malformed and non-functioning - and she died 42 hours later.

I wanted to let you know I thought of your family during our two-day ordeal, and I thought it might give you comfort to know that you, a total stranger to me save a random overall-related blog post, gave me comfort.

I realize that writing about Quinn (like me writing about Nora) is most likely for your own sanity and nothing else. But reading your candid thoughts helped me realize we are not the only people to go through something so heartbreaking.

And there you have it. So thanks.