Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunday Burst of Weird and Awesome

Oddities and Awesome abound...but I wasn't online much this week, so I only have one thing: this article about the fellow who invented Sriracha Sauce, which is the newest food craze. Yes, I have a bottle on hand. I like it, although I tend to forget that it is significantly hotter than my usual Frank's Red Hot.

Early on, one of Tran's packaging suppliers told him, "Your product is too spicy. How can you sell it?" Add a tomato base, some friends counseled. Sweeten the flavor to pair it better with chicken, others said. But Tran stood firm.

"Hot sauce must be hot. If you don't like it hot, use less," he said. "We don't make mayonnaise here."

I especially like the part toward the end, when the article discusses what Tran did when underforecasting led to the company literally running out of product for three months. Their choices were to change the formula so they could keep bottles on the shelves, or...well, check it out.

More next week!

No comments: