Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Random Wednesday Conversation Starter

I spent some time last night trying, and ultimately failing, to find humor in the fact that the famed "Touchdown Jesus" statue in Ohio got struck by lightning and burned down. That's just the sort of comic irony that I like, I'm sorry to say. I got a few search engine hits during the day for the statue, linked back to one entry in my old "Unidentified Earth" series, but I didn't learn of Touchdown Jesus's electrified fate until late in the day. And yes, I laughed when I learned.

But the question today is not whether or not it was funny. The question is this. Here is Touchdown Jesus:



Does that look like Jesus, or one of the Greek Gods, like Zeus?

(BTW, if that was Touchdown Jesus, then clearly the "Christ of the Ozarks" statue should be renamed "Unsportsmanlike Conduct Jesus":



"Fifteen yards, and an eternity of punishment!")

5 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

Funny, in an ironic sort of way, if no one got hurt. But funnier still, "Unsportsmanlike Conduct Jesus"; I mean LOL.

M. D. Jackson said...

I appreciated the irony but didn't really find the fate of the "Touchdown Jesus" all that funny.

Your "Unsportsmanlike Conduct Jesus" on the other hand, made me laugh out loud.

Thanks. Kelly

Quince said...

The original touchdown Jesus is at Notre Dame University. This though is a fine mega church interpretation of Jesus. Note how much bigger he is than the cross. Perhaps this is to symbolize the magnitude of their interpretation regarding the new testament.

Lynn said...

It looks like some guy who was in a boat wreck and the helicopter has just arrived and he's reaching up to grab the rescue line.

I like this guy's take on it.

Anonymous said...

He almost looked like Drowning Jesus from that camera angle.