Sunday, June 18, 2006

Treasure Hunting

So I'm watching this NBC show Treasure Hunters right now, and I'm not really enjoying it all that much. It's pretty much of a pure rip-off of The Amazing Race, but after one hour, the contestants have been in four or five different locations, only stopping long enough to uncover a clue in the treasure hunt. But the clues only lead onto the next clue, and still, the show ends with everybody in the same place at the same time. So what's the point? So far the show doesn't seem to have any of the geographical love that made me get obsessive about TAR.

This show should have been designed to be non-linear. Apparently there are seven "artefacts" that eventually lead to "the treasure", but the teams are all spending each episode heading for the same "artefact". I'd rather just see them handed a bunch of clues at the outset as to where the artefacts might be in the US, and then just step back and say, "Go find them." That would be interesting.

(I'm not sure my complaint makes sense, as I've written it here. If anyone's befuddled by what I mean, leave a comment to that effect. I'm having one of those "I know what I want to say but I'm not sure how to say it just yet" moments. Normally, I'd solve this problem by not posting until I've figured it out. Sue me!)

No comments: