Thursday, June 01, 2006

How droll!

Random Thoughts reports on a list of "the ten funniest movies ever" that he heard on a radio station:

10. Arthur
9. Blazing Saddles
8. The Wedding Singer
7. Ace Ventura Pet Detective
6. Airplane!
5. South Park - The Movie
4. There’s Something About Mary
3. Shrek
2. Caddyshack
1. Animal House

Hmmmm. I haven't seen The Wedding Singer, but I've got to pretty much rule out Adam Sandler on general principles. I also didn't see South Park: The Movie, so I can't comment on that, although I've heard that it is quite funny. And I've got to call BS on the inclusion of Ace Ventura. I've come to like Jim Carrey a great deal, but he had to make about six movies after that one before I liked anything he did.

I'm also going to rule out Shrek. It's an excellent movie, and very funny indeed, but one of the funniest ever? And Arthur? Again...meh.

So here is my rewriting of this list:

10. Hear My Song
9. There's Something About Mary
8. The Full Monty
7. Caddyshack
6. The Naked Gun
5. Animal House
4. Top Secret!
3. Airplane!
2. A Fish Called Wanda
1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

With honorable mentions to Office Space, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Singin' in the Rain, and When Harry Met Sally....

[And by the way, I was saddened by the death of Paul Gleason, the wonderful character actor who played Principal Vernon in The Breakfast Club ("I will not be made a fool of!"), Deputy Police Chief Dwayne T. Robinson in Die Hard ("Whoa -- we're gonna need some more FBI guys, I guess.") as well as many other roles. Read a nice appreciation of Mr. Gleason's work here. But at least Barry Manilow can finally stop padlocking his wardrobe.)

7 comments:

Bill said...

Any list like this that doesn't include a movie in black and white is pretty much disqualified.

Go watch "The Awful Truth" and then get back to me.

Jayme Lynn Blaschke said...

I think this was part of the AFI top 100 list. Lisa and I watched the television program on Bravo the other night, and were *dreading* what no. 1 would be, as we were both utterly convinced that it would be (gag) American Pie. I was betting on Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but we were both pleasantly surprised by Animal House.

Since I didn't see the whole think, I can't be sure Python was omitted entirely--but if it was a listing of American films, it starts to make a little more sense.

And the South Park movie is HILARIOUS. It's one of those you really, really feel guilty about watching the entire time, but its so funny (in a crude, absurdist way) you can't help but bust a gut.

Kelly Sedinger said...

It's not the AFI list, which can be read here. Its Number One entry is Some Like It Hot.

Anonymous said...

You mean the Life of Brian didn't make it but the Farrelly Brothers did..?

I HAVE NO SON!!!

Anonymous said...

I was going to mention Some Like It Hot. Another classic movie that must be on the list is Texas Across the River. Hmmmm... I'll have to give this some thought and come up with my own list this weekend.

Anonymous said...

What? Hello? Excuse me? Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing any mention of This is Spinal Tap anywhere. This cannot stand.

Anonymous said...

What about the Marx Brothers?

Start with "Animal Crackers" and go from there.