Sunday, April 07, 2013

Sunday Burst of Weird and Awesome

Oddities and Awesome abound! Even if I almost forget to do the post. Sorry....

:: This one is...well, I'm not really sure if it's awesome or not. It's a video of a tarantula crawling along the ground someplace. Trust me, nothing creepy, just a tarantula in its natural habitat. (Unless you find that inherently creepy, that is.) But they claim that this particular spider can reach sizes of eight inches in diameter, making it "as big as your face". Well, I have no way of substantiating that, because when I click on a link that says "A spider the size of your face!", I expect to see said beastie making his way across someone's face. No such luck, here. For all I know, that's a really nice close-up of a spider the size of a quarter. Until I see something to give this guy some scale, I officially call Shenanigans on this. Cool looking spider, though.

:: This is one of my favorite Flickr streams. This lady, Shelby, is really, really skilled at composition, and she always manages to come up with really interesting and new ways to look at things. Check her out!

A couple of good eggs :)~

:: Here's a product that, while apparently popular in the 1970s, found itself with some serious branding issues in the 1980s. See if you can figure out why:

1981_0020

Via Retrospace, another one of my favorite Flickr streams. Also see the companion blog.

More next week!

3 comments:

??? said...

The spider is absolutely gorgeous. Many other Poecilotheria species reach such a size, 8" is not uncommon for them and the norm for females of a few species, like P. ornata. You don't get to see many photos of people handling them because their bite is not all that pleasant and they are very, very fast.

Roger Owen Green said...

My mother used to use AYDS

Jason said...

My mom used an AYDS product, too, but instead of capsules, they came in little candy-like cubes. I was pretty young at the time, and never could understand why mom wouldn't share her caramels with me!