Tuesday, October 07, 2003

You name it, someone will blog about it!

I'm glad to see that Blogistan is developing beyond the political stuff and the daily diary, "I got up this morning with a headache and ate Cap'n Crunch with too much milk"-type stuff. Not a week goes by that I don't find a new blog and say, "Hmmm, that's not something I'd have thought to blog about." Case in point: a blog devoted to marching bands in Kentucky.

Not that anyone cares, but while I think marching bands are entertaining to watch, especially the drum-and-bugle corps that operate in the summer time, as a compulsory part of being in band, while in high school, I detested marching. As a musical education device I found it completely worthless; the positives often cited by the marching proponents (discipline, endurance, precision) are musical elements that can equally well be achieved in a concert band setting, with actual attention to musical concerns added in, to boot. I always found that it basically boiled down to "We're expected to have a band at the football games and the town's summer parade".

Pretty much every time I voiced this opinion in the music department in college, the collective gasps around me were similar to that you'd hear if you stepped up to the mike at a Democratic National Convention and claimed that JFK was a bad president. But I have never heard a convincing argument for the idea that marching is an essential part of a musical education. String players and vocalists seem to develop their musical chops just fine without marching in funky formations at football games; how the wind players and percussionists singularly benefit from marching has never really been made clear to me.

No comments: