Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Well, I've been a crab fisherman...and a NASA tech...and I've sold shoes...

Sarah Jane Elliott is given to wondering why so many writers' work histories, in her words, "read like some sort of employment sampler". I'd put in my two cents, but her take is pretty much mine. When you ask me what I do, I'll reply with whatever job I'm holding down at the moment. But I'll never answer that way if you ask what I am.

Of course, I'd never admit as much to a prospective employer, but then, I'm so committed to writing that I'm generally unwilling to put myself on their career tracks anyway. This can be a problem in today's "touchie-feelie" management world, when they're always talking about "values" and "developing people" and all that crap, when I'd just as soon be left alone and go home at the end of the day. And none of this matters right now anyway, since I'm not working.

No comments: