Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Thin Fantasy

As long as I'm citing Morat, I'll point out his list of good modern fantasy. Here he's not looking for epic series so much as good stand-alones (I think) that may or may not take place in mythic, "Middle Earth"-type realms.

On the list Morat offers in his post, I've only read Gaiman's American Gods, which I loved immensely. It's funny, scary, and poignant. I did think that it went on a bit too long, though. I haven't read Neverwhere, but Gaiman's Stardust and Coraline are both excellent (although Stardust is kind of "rough around the edges").

I'm not sure if Morat was around for my spate of Christopher Moore related posts a few months back, but his books are just great. He's not actually writing fantasy, but rather "humor in a supernatural vein". For a list of all of Moore's books, check out Nefarious Neddie's post on the subject. I also tend to like a lot of "peripheral fantasy", meaning, fiction that's not classified as fantasy but is of definite interest to fantasists. Michael Chabon's work falls in this category; see The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

In children's lit, one finds a lot of good fantasy writing going on -- Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, for example. Lloyd Alexander still turns out good stories, and of course, there's Harry Potter.

I've never read Terry Pratchett, so I suppose I should one of these days. Anyhow, Morat is still looking for more recommendations.

Finally, there's my obligatory mention of Guy Gavriel Kay. If you're not reading Kay, well then, you're just not living.

No comments: