Wednesday, October 08, 2003

"A stage-managed monkey show"

That's what John Scalzi thinks of the California recall. The part of me that's still political and wants to fight to good fight agrees totally with this; it's the best bit of left-wing anger I've read in months.

Of course, then there's the other part of me: not a conservative side, but the nihilistic side: the part of me that thinks the whole "politics" thing is just a shell game that matters not one whit, and that it's all just theater to give us something to watch and keep us from noticing that we're slowly circling the drain. A big reason why I don't write more about politics here is my dueling interests: part of me wants to roll up my sleeves and take back the White House, while the other part wants to pop some popcorn and watch the fireworks. Maybe it's a personality flaw that I seem to usually go for the popcorn. I don't know.

No comments: