Friday, October 10, 2003

Mmmmm....steamed prawns....

Back when I was active on Usenet, one of the more colorful voices on rec.music.movies was a fellow named Dave Thomas (no, not the Wendy's guy, either), who would constantly claim to have the worst taste in movies EVER, and to back up his claims he'd rattle off long lists of movies that he likes that I'd never heard of, often Hong Kong action movies with titles like "Sucka Chop Suey Maidens From Hell" or some such. (I made that up. I hope that's not a real movie title.)

Anyway, Dave was always an entertaining soul to have around until he listened to his better angels and ditched the newsgroup. The other day I discovered that he's been running a review site devoted exclusively to B-movies, called Steamed Prawn Buns. Check him out; his reviews are a hoot and…well, you gotta admire anyone who has willingly seen some of the movies that he's seen. I didn't see it mentioned on his site, but Dave is the only person I have ever encountered who is willing to admit to liking Howard the Duck.

(Of course, the damn title of his site is making me hungry for dim sum, which you can't find in Buffalo. Have I ever said that before? Yeah, probably….)

No comments: