Thursday, October 02, 2003

He's not heavy, he's our guest commentator!

Rush Limbaugh has resigned from ESPN, after the storm of controversy surrounding his incredibly goofy statements about Donovan McNabb and race in the NFL last Sunday. Of course, it's one of those "non-contrite" acts of contrition: "I'm sorry what I said was taken the way it was, because, you know, I didn't really mean it the way you took it. So I'm in trouble because you're a bunch of overly-sensitive fuddy-duddies."

And then, Limbaugh apparently went on his own radio show and gave this interpretation of events:

"All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something," Limbaugh said. "If I wasn't right, there wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports writer community."

Yup. Now one can determine the correctness of one's beliefs by the level of outrage they inspire. Jesse at Pandagon has a pretty good takedown of this line of "thinking".

Yesterday on the Jim Rome show, a caller asked of this whole affair: "Why are we surprised?" That's about right. What Limbaugh said about McNabb pretty much falls right in line with things he has said on his own program, for years. The only thing I wonder is how much of what he says he actually believes, and how much is said simply because he's one of those who likes to toe the line of controversy. Personally, I suspect it's both.

No comments: