Sunday, October 12, 2003

Further Stuff About Wal-Mart

A few weeks ago I posted a number of reasons why I don't like Wal-Mart, which had little to do with the chain's questionable labor and business practices and a lot to do with my generally less-than-pleasant experiences as a consumer at Wal-Mart.

Well, I'm not going to absolve Wal-Mart of running stores that, in my experience, aren't very enjoyable to shop in, but I will credit them for the fine store I was in yesterday. While gallavanting around the Southern Tier, we stopped in the Wal-Mart in our former town of residence (Allegany, NY, for those inordinately curious). This Wal-Mart was generally one of the nicer ones I've been in (although it was little better than a train wreck on Saturdays, when people flocked from the hills to do their weekly shopping), and since the last time I was in that store, several years ago, it has been extensively remodeled and redesigned so it's quite nice now indeed. The electronics section, for example, has been enlarged with several entrances added (every other Wal-Mart I've ever been in has one entrance to the electronics area, which makes for bottlenecks). The checkout area is devoid of cluttered merchandise, as are the main aisles, and the floors are as shiny as I've ever seen. It was all quite surprising, really. They do still have the "Carton cut open and put on the shelf" thing going on, as well as the "wooden pallet stacked with merchandise, just as it came in off the loading dock" thing going on in some of the aisles, but not nearly so bad as the Wal-Marts here in Buffalo. Oh, and big carts.

So, this one store was not dirty. Still evil, of course. But not dirty!

No comments: