Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday Burst of Weird and AWESOME!

Oddities and Awesome abound....

Only one thing this week, though. My usual traipsing 'round the Interweb didn't take me into too many weird places. This, though, I liked a lot:



It's amazing how descriptive this is, for any specific referent of the word "project". I've got my own project that I've been struggling with for a while now. I made a breakthrough of sorts this very weekend, though -- getting a scene finally right, I think, in the space opera novel.

By way of talking about writing process a bit: I don't like to do a whole lot of revising while I'm cobbling a first draft together, but for this particular work, I've found myself doing more than usual. Occasionally it's for prosaic reasons, such as when I decided to slightly change a couple of characters' names (both gained a single letter, but one of them, by virtue of that added letter, got an entire new syllable out of it!); others when I decided that I needed to go back and set up in Chapter Two something I'd decided to throw into Chapter Six on a whim (as in, "Hey, I know what would be cool here!"). The scene I just got done wrestling with is a First Contact scene, where My Heroes first meet the inhabitants of the planet they've just arrived upon. There's just no getting around the fact that this scene has to be right before I move on, because it sets the tone for so much of what is to come. Or I think it does. You never know.

Anyway, that's what's Weird and Awesome. Now, back to the project!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I love the Tales of Mere Existence series.

Roger Owen Green said...

Well, it's no Nowhere Man, but I liked it; I wonder if it's how Harper Lee felt after To Kill a Mockingbird.