Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Angular Modesty

There's something I'm seeing linked all over the place called the "Modesty Survey", in which (as I understand it) Christian boys are presented with statements regarding how women should dress, and doing the agree-disagree thing. As in, "Any shorts that are shorter than mid-thigh are immodest" and "Fishnet stockings are a stumbling block". It's all, I dunno, kind of odd, but there really is a population of folks out there who think that women should dress as cast extras on Little House on the Prairie or in Witness, and it's always interesting to see their thoughts.

But of particular interest to me was -- you guessed it! -- the survey thoughts on this statement: Overalls are modest as long as a modest shirt is worn underneath.

That cracks me up. It really does. The survey results actually fell on the "Agreement" side by a wide margin, so if you're looking to be "Modest", ladies, just put on your modest shirt under your modest overalls and go forth and be modest!

The text comments on this statement, though, cracked me up:

Overalls are usually very modest and if a modest shirt is underneath then it's not a problem for me.

Apparently a 13-year-old wrote that one. I'm glad we've established what women can wear so as not to give a 13-year-old certain needs, if you know what I mean.

From an 18-year-old: I agree, however, be sure the overalls come up past your chest, rather than sitting on top. For a girl who has a large bust, overalls are a bad idea, even with a modest shirt.

Now that's just sheer nonsense, to the extent that I can even understand it. They should "come up past your chest"? Is this kid suggesting that the bib should scratch a woman's chin?

And then there's this 23-year-old, who is putting a tad too much thought into this: And as long as they're not baggy, leaving a large, "horizontal" gap between the overalls and the shirt on the side at the waist, and as long as the bib terminates above the middle of the bust.

Good Lord. For proper wearing of overalls, a woman must calculate her ideal Bib Termination Point.

A 21-year-old opines: It would depend on the situation, but in public, a girl is overalls is looking for attention.

Oh, go have a beer, will you? You're old enough now. It's always such a treat to see the "But she was asking for it! Why else would she dress that way!" line of thought in action.

A not-unreasonable 18-year-old adds: Yes. Overalls are not tight, so that helps. The only thing I'd add is that they generally aren't very feminine.

Yeah...so? What makes them feminine is what's underneath, and their shape.

Here's a 19-year-old who apparently has trouble looking upon a woman's bust: Actually, if the straps come down too far, they can be pretty provocative by drawing attention to the bust.

A 25-year-old thinks: From a front profile they are fine. From the side profile, however, they are very suggestive especially if the shirt worn underneath is quite tight, which accent the curves of the bust.

I can see this guy on a date with a girl who is wearing overalls: "Oh Johnny, I'm having a good time, but why do you insist on facing me directly every place we go? Can't we walk beside each other?"

"Sorry, Susie, but no. When I am beside you, I can see the curvature of your bust. And then I get a strange feeling, you know."

Of course, this fellow is actually entirely correct, in a way; one thing I love about overalls on women is the way they obscure body features from certain angles and are more revealing from others. But that's a feature, man! Not a bug!

Feature!

A 16-year-old gets the final word: Overalls still tend to show a girl's figure, no matter how loose-fitting. However, they are more modest than regular jeans and having a modest shirt underneath is definitely helpful.

Well, thank God for that. A "modest" shirt is helpful. Helpful to whom, you ask? Why, all those men who might behold that lovely girl in overalls, see her figure, and be driven to a life of indulging sexual appetites. And we just can't have that, now can we!

Oh, how I wish we'd get beyond all this "modesty" crap and see the human body for the source of beauty that it really is!

5 comments:

Kal said...

You must have giggled like a couple of Amish girls upon seeing the boys pee when you heard the results of the 'overall' survey. You keep fighting the good fight brother. They WILL come back into fashion again.

Roger Owen Green said...

Funny! But I have seen some women in overalls, and when i looked at them from the side...well, let's say, quoting Jimmy Carter, i had lust in my heart. Not that that's a BAD thing.

Lynn said...

LOL! Young folks can be so cute sometimes - always so deadly serious about everything.

I'm a pretty big fan of modesty myself but what some of these guys consider immodest is just puzzling to me. Seems to me that they have lust in their hearts anyway, overalls or not, which, of course, is normal for guys that age.

Roger Owen Green said...

Just saw THIS, and strangely, thought of you.

Jason said...

Heh - reminds me of some of the nonsense that floats around out here in Mormon country, where the length of shorts and hemlines is a constant preoccupation...