Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Recall Madness!!

Yep, today's the wonderful recall in California. This whole thing has certainly been entertaining to watch. I have never in my life seen a candidate campaign on less substance that Arnold Schwarzenegger has, and yet be so close to winning. Of course, there's all the business about sleaze being brought up against him, but I find it hard to feel sorry for him since he's pretty much refused to discuss anything regarding policy, leaving nothing but the "sleaze factor". And in general, I think the whole idea of a recall is stupid: you voted this person into office, so as far as I am concerned, you should be stuck with him. Timothy Noah once described the recall as "democracy on steroids", which seems pretty apt...with the added fact that if the voters had been doing their damned job in the first place, it wouldn't even be necessary.

No comments: