Monday, June 16, 2003

Stop this sentence before it kills again!!

Last time I was at the library, whilst perusing the New Nonfiction books, my eye fell upon a volume with the seductive title Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal, by Ian Christe. Now, as a onetime lover of all things metal (and I still enjoy a good head-banging song every now and then, the louder and faster the better), I figured this would be an entertaining book, and so far it is.

But near the end of the introduction I happened upon what may be the worst single sentence I have ever read:

Emerging like the monolith in Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, a contemporaneuous influence, Black Sabbath was as irreducible as the bottomless sea, the everlasting sky, and the mortal soul.



I think I see what Christe is trying to get at here, but my reaction is more like, "Oh man, somebody open a window...."


No comments: