Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Things That Never Happened In Syracuse, no. 2376: while at Party City this morning, buying DragonTales-themed plates, napkins and balloons for my daughter's belated birthday celebration, I glanced at the guy behind me in the checkout line, who along with his wife and two daughters was buying a fistful of balloons including a giant one shaped like a ladybug, and realized that he was none other than Jim Kelly, NFL Hall-of-Famer and former quarterback of the Buffalo Bills during the team's run of four consecutive Super Bowl appearances.

Somehow, I managed to contain my excitement at such a brush with my town's greatest sports hero without betraying my cool exterior. (In other words, I didn't start going, "Holy crap, it's Jim Kelly! Oh my God it's number twelve! Wow! I can't believe it! You are so cool!!") Score one for the Good Guys.

No comments: