Friday, June 20, 2003

I must confess that I'm not terribly excited about the new Hulk movie. I was a fan of the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferigno show when I was a kid (so much so that to this day whenever I meet a person whose last name is "McGee", I get a little creeped out), but the Big Green Lummox never held much appeal for me as a comic character. (Admittedly, I suspect that Hulk's writers during the time I read comics really didn't know what they were doing. For a time they had the Hulk trapped in some kind of interdimensional crossroads, so he was visiting another world in each issue, or something like that....) And the new movie's trailers didn't impress me, either -- they looked, for lack of a better word, "cartoon-y". Hulk just didn't look real in those CGI shots that I saw.

But then, Roger Ebert gives it a decent review, and Entertainment Weekly's Lisa Schwarzbaum -- the most irritating, pretentious, and ultimately empty-headed of EW's annoying corral of "Not ready for The New Yorker" big-head critics -- doesn't, so maybe I'll check it out sometime. (No link to the Schwarzbaum article -- you can get it if you're an EW subscriber, which I am not -- thank God -- or if you're on AOL, which I am.)

No comments: