Tuesday, June 17, 2003

The Snow White story was rejected, as I expected. Ugh. I've reached the point where rejections have pretty much one effect: they piss me off, but at least they piss me off right back to my desk or computer table. (Some writers occasionally complain that editors don't give feedback in their rejections; most just use a form letter that says, "Not for us". I don't agree. I just want thumbs-up or thumbs-down.)

As for the damned novel, I'm halfway through editing it, and my "words removed" counter stands at just over 9000 -- which means that at the halfway point in the book I've removed half of the total amount of words I wanted to remove in the first place. So that's going OK. My basic rule on editing is to ask myself, "If I were the reader and this were someone else's book, would I skip this part?" If I answer "yes", out it comes.

Anyway, back to the grind.

No comments: