Sunday, February 09, 2003

When Bad Guys Have Great Lines, part one.

I've noticed over the years that villains and antagonists tend to have the best dialog in the movies, so I'll start catalogging some of my favorites.

:: "Love is a dunghill, and I am a cock that struts upon it to crow." --Cunningham (Tim Roth), Rob Roy.

:: "Why, I have more money than...than...than Calvin Coolidge! Put together!" --Lina Lamont (Jean Hagen), Singin' In The Rain.

:: "I like to play with things awhile, before annihilation." --Ming the Merciless (Max Von Sydow), Flash Gordon.

:: "I want them alive. No disintegrations." --Darth Vader, The Empire Strikes Back.

:: "I've watched Presidents die." --Cigarette Smoking Man (William B. Davis), The X-Files ("One Breath").

:: "All right, we'll head him off at the precipice." --Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Telly Savalas), On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

:: "They stamped it, didn't they? Those damned Gideons." --Jim Phelps (Jon Voight), Mission: Impossible.

:: "It's K-k-k-Ken, c-c-c-coming to k-k-kill me!" --Otto, A Fish Called Wanda.

:: "The trouble with Scotland is that it's full of Scots." --King Edward II (Patrick McGoohan), Braveheart.

:: "Who knows? In a thousand years, even you may be worth something!" --Belloq (Paul Freeman), Raiders of the Lost Ark.

:: "We all have our little faults. Mine's in California." --Lex Luthor (Gene Hackman), Superman.

:: "When it comes to brains, I got the lion's share. But as for brute strength -- I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool." --Scar (Jeremy Irons), The Lion King.

To be continued....

No comments: