Sunday, October 22, 2006

The family that wears overalls together stays together!

At the Lake
Originally uploaded by sarah smile = ).

I found this lovely photo the other day, quite by accident. There's a clan that's got the right idea!

Denim workwear aside, can any photography experts out there tell me what that "fading to black around the edges" effect is called? I might like to try it on my own photo editing software. I don't use Photoshop, though; I use ArcSoft's PhotoStudio 2000, which came for free either with the computer when I bought it five years ago or with some other piece of equipment along the way. Don't know what I'll use on the next computer, but I doubt I'll spring for Photoshop anyway. How is Google's photo software? I'm also buying a new camera sometime in the next couple of months.


Anonymous said...

The effect is called vignetting. You don't have to edit pictures digitally to get it. It's an optics thing, something to do with the aperture size of the camera. Of course, I'm sure you can do it digitally too.

The best free image editing tool IMO is gimp. It's a little bit of a learning curve, to get used to it, but it's way powerful, for my needs, anyway.

-Mary (

Anonymous said...

Nice picture I can see what you mean.